I refuse to eat boxed brownies. Call it what you want. These are by far the best brownies I have ever had. With the perfect combination of chocolate and fudgey goodness, these are perfect for PMSing or when you actually feel like being sweet. Bake these for yourself or bake them for friends and family; they will always be a hit. Adapted from Modern Honey, I added my own twang; cheesecake swirl.
PREP TIME: 10-15 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 42 MINS
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups Wholesome Natural Cane sugar
- 1 cup Wholesome Organic Dark Brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached Cake flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 cup quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
For the cheesecake swirl:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Wholesome Natural Cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp fine salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a stand mixer with a paddle or a large mixing bowl and hand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and mixed until just combined.
Sift the flour, cake flour, cocoa, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
Fold in chocolate chips. (try mixing in chocolate chunks, too!)
Pour into greased parchment paper lined, 9 x 13 pan and spread evenly.
- For cheesecake swirl, warm the cream cheese in a saucepan over low heat, whisking frequently. The cream cheese should be completely smooth with no lumps remaining. Remove from heat and whisk in the sour cream, flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Pour cheesecake swirl on top of brownie batter. Use a toothpick to make swirls in the mixture.
Bake for 28-36 minutes. Check at 28 minutes by inserting a toothpick into brownies. If it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake for 5 minutes at a time until done but do not over bake.*
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting into squares.
*28-30 minutes is usually perfect timing for me but it is truly based on your oven. If you have a gas oven, this should work for you as well. Electric ovens bake faster so be sure to keep an eye on your masterpiece. Also, when inserting toothpick, be sure not to confuse under baked brownie with melted chocolate chips! Insert a couple of toothpicks into different parts of brownies -- your brownies very well could be done.