Pancakes! A classic, breakfast favorite adored by all - extra fluffy. The buttermilk and mashed banana are what make these pancakes super moist, thick and fluffy. It's also the reason these require no oil, as well. Add walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips and/or caramelized bananas. Either way, these will become a morning staple.
PREP TIME: 5-8 MINS
SITTING TIME: 15 MINS
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 35 MINS
- 2 medium, extra ripe bananas (the darker, the better)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cups Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached all purpose flour +2 tbsp, if using larger bananas
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda (baking soda does expire -- make sure yours hasn't)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Unslated butter for greasing the pan/griddle
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Using a hand mixer, mash bananas and mix on medium for about 2 minutes. Alternatively, you may mash them with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix or whisk in eggs, brown sugar, and buttermilk until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and then add to wet ingredients. If using nuts, add those now.*
- Let the batter sit on the counter for about 15 minutes. Don't skip this part. It allows the baking powder and baking soda to do it's thing.
- Preheat the pan first (or the griddle, preferred). Cook the pancakes on medium to medium-low heat (350-375°F). Grease the pan/griddle with butter.
- Add approximately a cup of pancake batter, per pancake, to the preheated pan/griddle and let it cook on that side for about 3-4 minutes or when the edges start to bubble. Flip and cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Top with chocolate chips, walnuts, caramelized bananas and/or pure maple syrup!
*Sift and mix all of the dry ingredients together before you add in the wet ingredients, to avoid over mixing. You may need to add a couple of tablespoons of flour if batter gets to be too runny.