Chicken strips are always a fan favorite, no matter what age group. These Coconut Crunch Chicken Strips bump it up a notch with its sweet but savory flavor. Add in the honey-mango dipping sauce for extra xing. Adapted from The Cozy Apron, these have quickly become a go-to recipe in my household.
PREP TIME: 10-15 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 30-40 MINS
• Peanut oil, for frying
• 2 chicken breasts (skinless and boneless), sliced length-wise into 4 strips, then those strips sliced length-wise in half, making a total of 8 strips per breast OR halve pre-cut chicken breast tenderloins
• Pinch curry powder
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• 1/2 cup flour
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
• 1 tablespoon chives, finely minced
• Creamy, Honey-Mango Dipping Sauce (recipe below)
For the Honey-Mango Dipping Sauce:
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks, thawed
• 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 tablespoon wildflower honey
• Pinch (small) curry powder
• 10 drops Sriracha sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Fill a stock pot about half-way with the peanut oil (roughly 6-8 cups), and slowly bring the temperature of the oil up to 350°F while you prepare the strips.
- Place the chicken strips into a bowl, and add the pinch of curry powder, a couple of pinches of salt and pepper, and a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, to the strips; toss the strips to coat them in the seasoning, and set them aside for a moment.
- Set up your coating station by putting the flour, along with another couple of pinches of salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, into a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine; beat the eggs in another medium-sized bowl, and put the sweetened shredded coconut into another medium-sized bowl.
- To coat the chicken strips, dredge one strip at a time into the seasoned flour and coat it well; next, dip it into the beaten eggs, and then into the shredded coconut; press the strips into the coconut to coat them thoroughly, and place the coated strips onto a plate to hold until all strips have been coated.
- To fry the strips, work in batches by adding about 3-4 strips into the hot oil, and allow them to fry for about 1 ½ – 2 minutes, moving them very gently with tongs every now and then, until they are a deep, golden color; remove from oil and place onto a paper towel-lined platter to drain, and sprinkle each batch with a pinch of salt and pepper while they’re still hot.
- Repeat the process until all strips have been fried.
- For the dipping sauce, add all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor or powerful blender, and process until completely combined and well-blended; serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Serve the strips hot with a side of the creamy, honey-mango dipping sauce. Enjoy!