Salads don't have to be boring, especially in the fall when the harvest is actually perfect. This salad, adapted from Half Baked Harvest, has tons of great flavors and textures that will leave your tastebuds in shock. The glazed balsamic chicken, my own tried and true recipe, is the perfect addition. Follow along in my Cooking with Rachel segment on YouTube!
PREP TIME: 15 MINS (+2 HOURS/overnight marinating)
COOK TIME: 12-15 MINS
For the salad:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 heads kale, shredded
- 3 honey crisp apples, thinly sliced
- arils from 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of walnuts*
- dressing of choice**
For the Glazed Balsamic Garlic chicken:
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, plus more for the pan later
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the balsamic garlic chicken in a bowl. Place the chicken breasts in the bowl, coat with the marinade and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- On the prepared baking sheet, lay the prosciutto flat. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the prosciutto is crisp.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes on each side - cover with lid. When done, take off heat and let sit with the lid on until ready to slice.
- Meanwhile, shred the kale by laying it down horizontally and cutting into thin layers. Transfer to a large salad bowl. Juice the lemon over the kale and add the olive oil. Mix and massage the kale gently until tender. Add your dressing of choice and toss to combine.**
- Add the rest of the toppings: thinly slice the apples, dice the feta cheese (if not crumbled already), add the walnuts, add the pomegranate arils and add the prosciutto.
- Slice the chicken and place on top. Enjoy!
*Feel free to roast the walnuts for extra flavor! Lay on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
**I use balsamic vinaigrette for this salad. Easily make your own by mixing 2 tbsps olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsps of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.