Why is food all of a sudden more exciting when it's on a stick? Kabobs are always a hit. An adaption from Plays Well With Butter, this marinade is versatile. These pair well with my homemade tzatziki sauce and a side of tabouli, rice, quinoa or salad.
PREP TIME: 15 MINS (+6 HOURS/overnight marinating)
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
- 2 pounds meat or veggies of choice
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lemons, zested & juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke*
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- Soaked bamboo skewers**
For the tzatziki sauce:
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated/minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Mix the marinade: Add the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, liquid smoke*, oregano, salt & ground black pepper to a bowl or jar. Whisk or shake to combine. Set aside, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Cube your chicken, place in a bowl, then pour the marinade on top. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your grill/griddle or stovetop to medium high heat/ 350° F. Cut your peppers and onion into 2 inch pieces.
- Once the chicken is done marinating, take a skewer and thread a piece of marinated chicken, slice of onion, two slices of pepper and repeat until you have 4 pieces of chicken on the skewer.
- Once you have assembled all your skewers, lightly grease your preheated grill/griddle/skillet with avocado oil.
- Grill the skewers for 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- While the skewers are grilling, make the tzatziki sauce by whisking together all the ingredients, except the cucumber. Stir in the cucumber last and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the skewers are done, serve on a bed of tabouli, quinoa, rice or salad with a side of tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!
*If you don't have a grill (like me!), I suggest adding in some liquid smoke for that charcoal grill taste. Opt for a natural one like Stubbs.
**When using bamboo skewers, you will need to soak them for at 30 minutes prior to use as not to burn them on the grill.