Comfort in a cup, this homemade chai latte is that much better. Fun fact: chai means tea. So, saying chai tea is redundant. Add whipped cream to the top if you want to get fancy. You can double or triple this recipe and make enough to store for later. Makes two delicious chai lattes.
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup of milk or dairy free milk
- 4 tbsp of black tea
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- honey or natural sugar, optional
- 2 star anise for garnish
- cinnamon for garnish
- French Press or Strainer
- Boil water in tea kettle or a pot, if using a strainer instead of French Press.
- Mix all the spices together: cinnamon, cloves, ginger, cardamom, black pepper and nutmeg.*
- Put black tea into French Press and pour in hot water. (Or put tea directly in pot of hot water).
- Add the mixed spices and stir well. Let sit for about 4 minutes.
- Steam the milk. Frothing optional!
- Strain the tea and add in any sweeteners, now. Stir well.
- Pour a cup of chai into 2 mugs. Add in 1/2 cup of milk to each mug. Add a star anise and cinnamon for garnish.
*Double or triple the recipe and store in an air-tight container like a mason jar.