Made via slow cooker, these make for the best flavored chicken tinga tacos. These are quite spicy as I love the flavor so feel free to adjust as needed if you cannot handle the heat. Great for weekday meals, meal prep and anytime you are craving authentic chicken tinga tacos.
PREP TIME: 15 MINS
COOK TIME: 1-2 HOURS
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon pink salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato purée
- 1 can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced, plus 1 tablespoon of the sauce*
- Corn tortillas
- Diced red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Avocado (optional)
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Place in a single layer in a 4-quart, or larger, slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and the 1 teaspoon of salt, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the tomato purée, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour the sauce and onions over the chicken. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 2 to 3 hours on the LOW setting or 1 to 2 hours on the HIGH setting.
Turn off the slow cooker and transfer chicken to a clean cutting board. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to coat with the sauce.
- Serve on warmed corn tortillas and preferred toppings. Enjoy!