Easy to make and even easier to eat, this chicken is packed with so much flavor. Roasting a whole bird may frighten some but if seasoned correctly and baked carefully, this will become part of an easy weeknight dinner. The herbs and butter make for a super moist chicken that when finished, will leave your taste buds with severe withdrawals.
PREP TIME: 10 MINS
COOK TIME: 1 HOUR 15 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 25 MINS
- 1 4-5 pound whole chicken, at room temperature giblets and neck removed from cavity
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons La Tourangelle avocado oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head of garlic roughly peeled and cut in half, horizontally
- 4 fresh whole thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh whole rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 430°F | 220°C. Line a baking tray with foil, or lightly grease a roasting pan. You may use a casserole pan, as well.
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place breast-side up into baking tray or roasting pan.
- Mix the avocado oil, softened butter, 2 chopped rosemary sprigs, 2 chopped thyme sprigs, minced garlic, parsley and the juice of half a lemon together.
- Using your hands, generously apply the mixture over the chicken, under the skin and inside the cavity. Season chicken liberally on the outside and inside the cavity with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the garlic head into the chicken cavity along with the last 2 rosemary sprigs, last 2 thyme sprigs and the other lemon halve. Tie legs together with non-synthetic cooking twine.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of water into pan around chicken.
- Roast for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, basting half way through cooking time, until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- If chicken getting too brown towards end of cooking time, light cover with foil.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve, drizzled with pan juices. Pairs great with a side of greens and roasted potatoes!